May 2014Lightower Building Dominant Presence in Mid-Atlantic with 270-Mile Network Expansion in Greater Baltimore
The Premier Metro Fiber Provider Expanding Again in Mid-Atlantic Region
- Latest Expansion Adds 270 Route Miles to Downtown Baltimore, Greater Baltimore and Areas Between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
- Lightower Continues to Invest Aggressively Throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region, Bringing More High-Performance Fiber to Bandwidth-Hungry Organizations
Boxborough, Massachusetts, May 20, 2014 — Lightower Fiber Networks, the premier all-fiber provider of custom, high-capacity network services that ensure optimal application and business performance, announced today a new, 270-mile network expansion in the greater Baltimore, Maryland region. Lightower's latest network expansion includes new fiber throughout downtown Baltimore and in the busy Baltimore-Washington corridor that runs between the two major East Coast cities. In addition, Lightower will be adding more fiber capacity to its existing markets in Washington, D.C. and northern Virginia locations where the company just recently completed network expansions.
The Baltimore area has shown strong demand for the kind of high-performance bandwidth that can only be effectively served via fiber-optic networking. Lightower's aggressive expansion in the area will bring fiber to hundreds of new service locations throughout the region, including commercial buildings, data centers, health care facilities, educational facilities and government locations.
"Baltimore and the surrounding areas are renowned for research and development, health care, education and government," explained Rob Shanahan, CEO of Lightower. "These types of organizations demand fantastic amounts of bandwidth, and every year that demand increases. The trick is getting the fiber network to where the customers need it. These dynamics of the marketplace are proving that metro networks are becoming increasingly important in the end-to-end delivery of high-bandwidth solutions. At Lightower, we will continue to invest aggressively to bring our network to more and more customers."
Cities and towns along the Lightower network expansion include:
- Anne Arundel County, MD (Fort Meade, Hanover and others)
- Baltimore, MD
- Baltimore County, MD
- Howard County, MD (Annapolis Junction, Columbia, Elkridge, Ellicott City and others)
- Montgomery County, MD (Gaithersburg, Germantown, North Bethesda, Rockville and others)
- Prince George's County, MD (Beltsville, Laurel and others)
- The I-270 biotech and life sciences corridor
These cities and towns will now have access to the entire 20,000-mile Lightower network, including access to over 130 data centers, 40+ financial exchanges, 115+ carrier hotels and central offices, and over 7,500 total service locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Metro Chicago.
Lightower's complete portfolio of all-fiber solutions will be available to customers in the greater Baltimore region, including:
- Ethernet service from 10 Mbps to 100 Gbps
- Wavelength service from 1 Gbps to 100 Gbps
- Dedicated Internet access to 10 Gbps
- Dark fiber
- Ultra-low latency solutions
- Data Center and Cloud connectivity solutions
- Video transport solutions
- Private network solutions
- Wireless backhaul solutions
This expansion connects the greater Baltimore area to the huge data center population in Ashburn and Sterling, Virginia, where Lightower recently completed a 400-mile expansion in the greater Washington, D.C. area. Lightower also continues to build a 1,100-mile network expansion throughout Virginia. In addition, Lightower also offers the only direct fiber route between Ashburn, VA and New York / New Jersey that is geographically diverse from the I-95 corridor. For more information, visit www.lightower.com.
Source: Fierce Telecom
Title: Lightower Building Dominant Presence in Mid-Atlantic with 270-Mile Network Expansion in Greater Baltimore
Date Published: May 20, 2014
Date Accessed: June 12, 2014